Relationships and Health Education (RHE)
From the academic year 2020/21, Relationships Education and Health Education has become statutory in all primary schools in England. This new subject will build on the non-statutory lessons we have previously taught in RSE.
As a Catholic school, our mission is to support the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all of our pupils, rooted in the wisdom and teaching of the church.
The education of children in human sexuality is an important, precious and privileged responsibility. The church teaches us that this is very much a partnership with parents, in which parents are the ‘first educators’ of their children on these matters; ultimately, you confer on us the right to co-educate your children with you.
We have been researching various programmes that are available and have decided to adopt Life to the Full by Ten Ten Resources. Ten Ten is an award-winning Catholic educational organisation that is well-respected and very experienced in this field of work.
Life to the Full has been approved by our diocese. Furthermore, Ten Ten have entered into a partnership with the Catholic Education Service and the Department for Education to provide training for teachers in Catholic schools on the subject of the new statutory curriculum. Therefore, we are confident that this programme is a very good fit for our school.
Through their programme, Ten Ten understand the foundational role that parents have in educating and nurturing their children on these matters. Within the programme, they have built in resources which will not only keep you informed about what is being taught in school, but will also give you the opportunity to engage your children in discussion, activity and prayer.
Ten Ten have provided an Online Parent Portal
This is a simple-to-follow resource, for parents which:
- Outlines the statutory changes that will take place.
- Articulates a vision for Catholic Relationships and Health Education.
- Explains how Life to the Full aims to help us fulfil the statutory curriculum with a Catholic ethos.
- Provides some information about key decisions we need to make, in consultation with parents.
- Answers some Frequently Asked Questions.
- Will be a tool we can use throughout the year to keep you informed and updated about the work we are doing in school.